Friday 29 May 2009

London Expo portraits


Last weekend (23-24 May) was the May edition of London MCM Expo. I shared a table with Kat and Dave from Studio Two Sides Wide on the Saturday. Since I had literally only just finished Twelfth Night a few days before Expo, there was no time to prepare anything new to sell. Kat came back from a three-week-long trip to Ghana for her university project the same morning of Expo so she didn't have much time to prepare either. To earn back the table cost we started doing on-site commissions, of which "manga portraits" proved the most popular. There was hardly a moment to spare on the Saturday, but the Saturdays are always extremely busy.

Here are a few that were drawn that weekend:



There were also few which I didn't have time to finish during the Expo so I drew them back home. This also gave me a chance to scan the artwork properly.
This group of lovely ladies were cosplaying characters from Negima.


Something I must remember to do next time is to ask people for their eye colour. It's very difficult to see in a blurry photo and since manga eyes are so big, it becomes quite an important piece of information.
For anyone who might be waiting for their portrait and might be reading this, I mailed them out today. :)

There were quite a few people who asked me about my tools. I tend to use Copic Ciao markers for my convention sketches. Copic had a stall at Expo for the first time this year so it was easy to point them in the right direction.

---
London MCM Expo, website.
Studio Two Sides Wide, website.
Copic Markers, website.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Cute! I love the Negima pic :D I would love to ask you to do my portrait next Expo! <3

nana said...

I'll trade you one if you'll do one for me! :D

Kate said...

oh pfffffttt........ I think I'd like to pay you anyway, haha, I'm awful at portraits! :D

Unknown said...

aww the naruto and sasuke picture is really cute x your really good